Thursday, February 26, 2009

Stop Yelling at Me!

Alright, I am finally posting some recipes for you people so you'll stop making rude comments.
And you people know who you are Melissa Mohr, Megan Thompson, and Ashley Faulkner.

Anyways...here are 3 of my favorites. 2 dinner and 1 breakfast.

Taco Filled Jumbo Shells:
Ingredients:
2 pounds ground beef
2 envelopes taco seasoning
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
1/4 cup butter, melted
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each casserole):
1 cup salsa
1 cup taco sauce
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1-1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
3 green onions, chopped
Directions: In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning; prepare according to package directions. Add cream cheese; cook and stir for 5-10 minutes or until melted. Transfer to a bowl; chill for 1 hour. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Gently toss with butter. Fill each shell with about 3 tablespoons of meat mixture. Place 12 shells in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. To prepare remaining shells, spoon salsa into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Top with stuffed shells and taco sauce. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheeses and chips. Bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with sour cream and onions. To use frozen shells: Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours (shells will be partially frozen). Spoon salsa into a greased 9-in. square baking dish; top with shells and taco sauce. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue as above. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).

Alteration: I don't use taco sauce or salsa. I use enchilada sauce because my family likes it. I also don't always top it with anything but the sauce and the cheese just to make it cheaper.
I usually double this and make several pans to freeze to take to people cause it is GOOOD and everyone likes it!
If you want to save some calories, you don't have to toss the shells with butter.

Southwestern Chicken Pot Pie: (This is an invention and so I do not have completly accurate sizes)

1 pkg frozen deep dish pie shells
1 pkg roll out pie shells
2-3cups shredded or diced chicken
1 can ro-tel
1 can black beans (2 if you like)
2 cans cream of mushroom
1 can cream of chicken
1 cup shredded taco cheese
1 can of corn optional ( I would like to add corn, but my husband doesnt like corn mixed in things so I don't, but I think it would be good)
Also some fresh chopped cilantro would be a good addition

Mix all the ingredients except the pie shells. Pour into the frozen pie shells.
Top with the roll out pie shells and trim the edges and crimp. You will have leftover pie crust that you can make cute little cut out shapes with and place on top.
I usually wet my finger tips a bit to help them stick.
You could also lightly spray the top with non stick spray.
Use a knife to slit holes in the top of the pie in a criss cross shape.

This makes 2 pies.

Place on cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until crust is golden.
You can freeze one pie and cook it straight from the freezer for about an hour. Leave the foil on for the first half if you do it this way.

Sausage Breakfast Casserole: (I like this one because you don't have to let it sit over night...but you can if you need to!)

1 pound bulk pork sausage
1/3 cup chopped onion
4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
8 eggs, lightly beaten
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
DIRECTIONS
In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Combine eggs and soup; pour over cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.

4 comments:

Marsha said...

mmmm, makin' me hunnnnggry!

Love you.

Michele Williams said...

Hummm.... I will have to see how I can make these things low cal...

Tanya said...

Stuffed Taco Shells is one of my families FAVORITE meals! Oh, I think I need to make that next week!

Anonymous said...

well thank you very much, missy! my husband will be so excited about this!