Saturday, January 24, 2009
I am very thankful for the time I got to spend in PA this past week with my Grandparents. Grandpa's health was kind of up and down while we where there. He started dialysis, which is designed to keep people alive for a while, but for him, I think it is just helping to make him more comfortable. He is on oxygen now, and my Mom is up there helping again this week. Please continue to pray for him, Nana, and Mom as they get a lot of loose ends tied up.
Here are some things I love about my Grandpa:
1. Even though he married my Nana when I was 2, he has always treated me as though I was his own. I tease my Nana that I am the reason he married her. Cause I was just so darn cute ;)
2. He makes funny noises out of the sides of his lips. Laura and Adam and I have always thought that was so funny. He sounds like a bird.
3. When I was in High School and College, whenever we got together we would always play golf. The greatest golf shot I ever made was with him and he bragged and bragged on it.
4. He always tells the same story of when I was a little little girl.
"Chris, Chris, lets go for a waaalk and see the do-ooog". He says it in his finest southern accent, and it is so cute!
5. He is a HUGE reader. I remember his collection of books from when I was a kid. Once when I was in JR.High or so, I got the book "War and Peace" off his shelf. It was HUGE! He told me I wasn't old enough to read that yet. I wonder if I can read it now?
6. Grandpa is extremly smart. He does cross word puzzles everyday and has a wealth of information stored in that brain of his.
7. He used to be a "Topographer". You know, the guy that makes "Topography Maps."
I have always been fascinated by maps, I wonder if thats why.
8. He is absolutly with out a doubt, over the top, in LOVE with my Nana. I can always remember that when he would enter a room from being gone some where the first thing he would do is give her a kiss. He always has a compliment for her. Always. He thinks she is the most beautiful woman on the face of the earth.
Even in the ER on Sunday, while he can barely stand on his own without his walker, he was helping her get HER jacket on. That is some serious love people.
9. He used to smoke a pipe and it was a wonderful smell.
10. He grew up in Virigina. His Mom died in childbirth while giving birth to him and his twin sister. They where raised by their dad and step mom, but their dad died when he was an early teen and the step mom was not very nice. So they moved to Sweden to be raised by their Aunt.
He was in the service and has great stories about those times too.
He has a really amazing past.
11. He has the most beautiful blue eyes.
12. His favorite dessert is Boston Cream Pie.
13. I will miss his warm smile when he is gone.