Saturday, November 3, 2007
Last night I got to go out with one of my girlfriends. Yes, just me and Gwendy. No kids, no husbands, no saying no, no saying stop, only two trips to the bathroom with no wiping butts. We went to Christmas Village and spent 4 hours there just perusing all of the wonderful merchandise. I did the unpardonable and actually bought something at the first booth I stopped at. I know I know, I shouldn't have done that. It was just 3.50 though, so it's OK.
It was grand to hear Christmas music and I think I was singing out loud once and someone was staring at me. Who cares. I had no kids with me. I can sing out loud if I want to!
I got many fabulous ideas for Christmas. I actually feel like I am behind on my planning this year. One thing I saw, (that I can't tell, because your kids may be the recipient of one) was really cute. I went to Michaels today and got the stuff to make a couple of trial ones with the kids today, and if it works, we will be busy busy busy! ( In a good way!)
Gwnedy bought Lana and her daughter matching jeans with black ribbon belts and black and white fabric trim on the bottom legs. SOOOO cute! Can't wait to give them to Lana for Christmas. The cheap hairbow ladies were there again with the $2.50 bows. I know I can make them myself and do alot, but sometimes you just don't feel like messing with it.
After leaving our 4 hours of blissful shopping, perusing, and chatting, we headed to (drum roll please!) The Cheesecake Factory!
Yummo! We shared appetizers and then I got Cocoa Kalula Cheesecake, of which I just remembered I still have 1/2 a piece in the fridge upstairs. Oh my!
I didn't get home until after 11:00 last night. The sad part was that I was so tired. When did staying out until 11 get to be hard?
OK...well my Christmas Village experience has brought these things to mind:
1. While fun to look at all the pretty stuff and purchase a few small items, I don't want to get wrapped up in the holiday hoopla.
2. I remember last year being so tired all of the time and not feeling like I did a lot of Christmasy type stuff with the kids. This year I want to really make it special.
3. For whatever reason that I don't deserve, God has chosen to give me very caring, giving children. I really want to help nurture that along this year at Christmas time even more. They are really excited to be making things for everyone.
4. I remember one of our old pastors saying that we should by the end of the year give as much to missions as we have spent on Christmas. I have really been thinking about that lately.
5. I used to do the 12 days of Christmas for my husband, but haven't done it in years. I want to start that again this year. I think it will be a nice way to reward him for all his hard work this year.
6. I want to entertain more this holiday season. I love to entertain and because of Stacys schedule don't do it very much. So I would like to maybe just host an open house or something and invite you all over. (unless I don't know you and you are a crazy person that stalks my blog. In that case, you stay home and stalk someone else!)
7. I want to do outside the box Christmas gifts for the ones that I love. Don't really know what that means yet, but I want to put the time and effort into meaningful gifts. I do know that I am taking my Dad to play golf on Friday when they come down, as an early Christmas present. Looking forward to that alot!
8. While I want to make this a fun and meaningful time of year, I want to make sure that I am showing my kids Gods love 24-7-365...not just at Christmas time. I would like for them to grow up remembering Christmas as a time of tradition, creativity, and excitement. But I want them to live everyday with the excitment of showing Gods love to others. Everyday using their gifts of creativity to serve Him. Everyday to be reminded of the gift of Jesus birth who gave us the gift of Salvation.
9. I want to spend a lot more time driving around looking at Christmas lights. We didn't do it enough last year and thats my favorite!
10. I want to watch a holiday movie every night in Decemeber. Not that its going to happen, but just wishing!
11. Since we are going to my parents this year, I REALLY want a white Christmas. Really wishing on that one!
Sorry to ramble on so about Christmas on Nov.3rd. Last night just got me to thinking.
Thanks for the fun Gwendy!